Saturday, November 3, 2007

A gift that keeps on giving

Over the past year, three people have given me a plant as a gift. Last Christmas, I was given a miniature Christmas tree that fit in a small pot and was intended to live throughout the year. It slowly turned brown and now sits on my deck waiting to be thrown out. Last spring a close friend gave me three plants that were offshoots of her existing plants. Two of them died. Thankfully the third is a more hardy plant and has endured my inexperienced botany skills. I have often joked with friends, “How am I ever going to raise children if I can’t take care of a plant?” Just recently, Mary, the lady that cleans our office each evening gave me a large lime tree. That’s right a lime tree.

Over the past year and a half there have been several evenings when I was working late and Mary has come to clean the office. I have come to understand that there are people in my life that watch over me and take care of me. Mary is one of those people. Whenever I see her, she is always so positive and goes out of her way to compliment me. I have really appreciated her enthusiasm for life. When I don’t see her she frequently leaves me a little note on my desk with a word of encouragement.

A few weeks ago, there was a lime tree left in one of the operatories with this note. “Dr. Kelson, I bought this tree for your space. Thought maybe you’d like a plant. If you want it here, I can leave it, but if you and Dr. McCarty say no, I can take it home. PS: I got it at a yard sale for $5. My son (an arborist) had to trim it.”

There are only a few spaces in the office close to a window where there is room for the tree. We were all jostling about where it should go. I was very close to just taking it home so we didn’t argue about it, but after considering my success with the two previous plants, I elected to keep the plant at the office so everyone could enjoy it and give it a better chance for survival. The smells are absolutely wonderful and there were three ripe limes on the tree that were ready to be picked.

Two or three weeks ago Mary came in for a dental exam. For the past year I have been inviting her to come in, but for whatever reason she has been hesitant to take me up on the offer. I insisted that she not worry about it and that I would take care of the costs. During the exam, I was telling her how excited I was about the lime tree, but I was nervous because I didn’t want to kill it. I related my previous experiences with living gifts. How much water should I give it? How much sun does it need? Does it ever need to be replanted? She sat in my chair and almost in tears, she said, “Dr. Kelson, I’ve had that tree for almost a year. I’ll take care of it. I’ll water it when I clean at night.” I could tell the gift she gave me meant a lot to her. It now means even more to me.

On Monday she left a note on the receptionist’s desk. I quote:
“Dear whoever waters the plants, You don’t need to ever water Dr. Kelson’s tree. I will. I watered it Friday from the bottom. So if it looks dry – its not. Sorry to say it’s (spoiled) used to rain water so I bring it from home...”

I’ve decided Mary’s lime tree is a symbol of the many people around me that have taken me in and cared for me, given me water, showed me some light, and not forgotten me. (Perhaps a bit sappy, but I can’t help but smile every time I walk past it.) Thanks Mary.

No comments: