Saturday, November 24, 2007

The Days Before Cell Phones

My sister Amie works for T-Mobile. She gave my other sister Janeen a cell phone to give to her children so that when they are at football practice, soccer practice and the like, they can get a hold of her to come pick them up. (The phone is to be used strictly for inter-family communication) Gone are the days when I used Morris code to signal my mom that I was finished with practice. I would call my mom on a pay phone without depositing a coin. Mom would answer and I would flip the receiver handle five or six times or hit the numbers so that a sound would be made on the other end. Since I never deposited a coin, she could not hear me, but could understand our pre-determined signal that I was finished. Then I would wait outside until she arrived. Lots of thinking time and a savings of 25 cents a day.

2 comments:

Autumn said...

I am laughing out loud. What a great way to tell your mom you're ready!

jacque said...

That's too funny! Skye's got some funny stories from his students about cell phones. They have no clue what life is like without them! Sood to hear from you. Glad you enjoyed your holiday season. When are you going to come visit us?