Saturday, October 13, 2007

Home away from home

I received three packages today from mom. She sent the last few things that I was storing at the house. I guess the flood in her basement initiated my request for her to send them. After more than ten years since I graduated from high school I am finally and officially moved out. I opened the boxes and pulled out mission journals, yearbooks, scouting paraphernalia, an old biology research project, newspaper articles,...it was a stroll through memory lane. Oh life was simple then.

As I was going through all of the stuff, I couldn’t help think of all the people that have influenced my life. I had great teachers and people that believed in me...what a blessing. I have been so far from home for so long...a mission, college, and dental school. They were all temporary dwellings and I knew I wouldn’t be planting roots. Now I am within a month of closing on a dental practice purchase deal and am staring at my future with hopeful, yet unsure eyes. I think looking back to the memories of my past have given me a bit more confidence to move forward with faith. Thanks mom.

My neighbors have become my new local surrogate family. Ann and Charlie are in their late 70’s and early 80’s. It has been fun to sit down with them and watch them interact. They certainly do love each other. Charlie is probably the most laid back man I’ve ever met. I think that is why he has lived so long. Perhaps he is my lesson to chill out and relax. Ann is the social butterfly and closet poem writer. I think she knows what everyone is doing in our apartment complex. (I am exaggerating of course.) We’ve celebrated each other’s birthdays, gone out to dinner, bet each other to see who could gain more weight, gone to church activities together, and just sat on the porch chatting. Ann wrote one of the nicest poems for me on a birthday card that I think will keep someplace safe.

My dryer broke about two months ago and I haven’t had the time to really go replace it. I’ve been using the coin-operated dryer in our apartment complex, or just laying them out on the couch to air dry. (that just screams bachelor) Ann offered to let me borrow theirs. I took my wet clothes downstairs to dry and when I returned to pick them up, she had folded all of them. I didn’t know if I should scold her or just say thank you so I did both. Thank goodness it was a colored load. (I don’t think I need to explain) I guess even after more than ten years of being away from home, I’m still being taken care of.

2 comments:

Barb said...

I wish someone would fold my clothes. ;-) How nice to get a package...that's always fun!

Unknown said...

Love it! And you write so well.