Sunday, January 27, 2008

Summoned

I think I have a love hate relationship with mail. I love opening my mailbox to find a letter from a friend, a package from mom, or an item that I have ordered from Amazon. There is always a bit of energy in the air as I thumb through it to see what I got that day. Then there are always letters that I immediately get a bad feeling about; Excel Energy, Chase Credit Cards, Allstate. The list could go on, but I know before I open them that money is going to be involved. Letters from the state dental board always get me a little nervous too (don’t anyone worry, they have all been informational letters.)

This week I got a letter from Boulder County. I’ve been summoned for Jury Duty! What?!@ I don’t want to be on Jury Duty. Luckily the date I am supposed to appear was during the week I will be out of the country. (topic of another blog in the near future.) I had to send them an explanation stating my excuse, but I had to include dates that I would be available. So it looks like I will only be able to postpone the inevitable, rather than evade it.

I’m looking for advise for when they interview me to make it clear I wouldn’t be a very good juror. I could pretend I’m a bigot of some sort, or maybe just bring my Bible and hold it under my arm the entire time. If I have to serve I will, but I’m going to make it clear that I will be kicking and screaming the entire time. I’ve got enough drama in my life right now and certainly don’t need more.

7 comments:

Autumn said...

I too love great mail. Jury duty! I think that sounds like fun! A good person with good morals-they need you! Sure, I know, its a kink in your schedule, but...just think of who you might be defending or prosecuting. I can't wait to hear where you're going out of the country?!!

apriljanellehart said...

Just think you might not even get past the phone part of the summons. I have yet to get past that point. I guess just be honest if you do get past that point. Have fun in Guatemala.

Anonymous said...

Ah Jury Duty... Nothin' like a dose of American justice in the mornin' !

Amie Kay said...

Don't worry. You will never get on a jury. You are too educated. Lawyers don't like folks who can think rationally. Two little letters..."Dr" will help you stay out of jury duty the rest of your life. :)

Josh said...

funny thing, i just got selected for jury duty as well. waiting for that letter to summon me. and they said it was all at random - their picking on us. I'm going to show up in a t-shirt with the confederate flag on them...that should do it here in utah.

Phillips Flips said...

Good Times. I served on a jury once. We acquitted a teenager of vehicular manslauter. The prosecuter wasn't very good. It's amazing who they let practice law.

Matthew K Morrill said...

I've finally cracked the code to keeping up on you all.
you cannot go anywhere.

www.mkmorrill.blogspot.com